I can’t believe a month has gone by already. I’ve been busy putting the finishing touches on a project that should be unveiled next week (I hope), and it’s been keeping me pretty busy. But I promised that I would get the next chakra blog out this week, and it’s only Friday, so it’s still this week:-)
As we move on from the root chakra to the 2nd Chakra or Navel Chakra, we transition from survival (what we need to live as in the root chakra) to pleasure … play, joy, creativity, sexuality, nurturing and change. The second chakra is also referred to as the Sacral Chakra. In Sanskrit this chakra is called Svadisthana or Swadhisthanna. It’s located about two inches below the navel and is rooted into the spine.
Key words for the navel chakra are … creativity, feelings, pleasure, vitality, sexuality, intimacy, emotional balance, change, joy and friendliness.
The navel chakra relates to sexual/erotic health and fulfillment.
- It’s about the right to feel, about being connected to our sensing abilities and issues related to feelings.
- This chakra is link to your inner child—enthusiasm, happiness and joy as well as the ability to be spontaneous and play.
- The process of creating changes in our lives with fluidity and ease is a function of second chakra energy.
- The sacral chakra is the center from which we relate to others in an open and friendly way. It¹s most often influenced by how emotions were expressed or repressed in the family during childhood.
In the body, the navel chakra corresponds to the ovaries in women and the spleen in men, as well as womb, kidneys, urinary tract, skin, gallbladder and digestive system.
When the sacral chakra is balanced, you are creative, trusting, able to express yourself sexually, and in tune with your feelings. Although the sacral chakra is primarily considered the sexual center, it’s also where your creativity is birthed from. A properly balanced navel chakra gives you life energy for creation, recreation, and procreation. If it’s out of balance, your creative juices may be stuck (i.e. writer’s block) and/or your vitality may be depleted. If this chakra is blocked you may feel emotionally instable being explosive and manipulative or overly sensitive. Blockages can also manifest as emotional problems or sexual guilt/shame.
Blockage may also result in unbalanced sex drive (too much or too little). This can show up ranging from sexual addiction to impotence or frigidity. This chakra is frequently blocked in women who are experiencing hormonal imbalances, or have had a miscarriage or abortion. This block also shows up in both women and men have experienced sexual abuse.
The main color used with this chakra is orange and red-orange.
The gemstones most often associated with the navel chakra are Carnelian, Coral, Agate, Orange Calcite and Tigers Eye. (Look for next week’s blog post at Naturewise for more on these stones.)
Suggestions for balancing the navel chakra are:
- Creative expression through artwork, theater, music, crafting , etc.
- Dance like no one is watching
- Yoga poses such as the Cobra and Triangle Poses
- Pilates for your Navel Chakra – check out this YouTube video
- Explore the sacred art of Tantric practices
- Surround yourself with things to engage your senses … flowers, art, music, color, essential oils such as ylang ylang and sandalwood, fruit, chocolate, and give yourself a time to savor them.
- “Joy Therapy” – Read about it here
- Meditate and visualize the root chakra. Sit or lie down in a quiet place and focus on the root chakra located at the base of your spine/genital area. Visualize a red wheel spinning in a clockwise direction. Repeat out loud or silently meditate one or more of the following affirmation:
- “Pleasure is a sacred part of my life.”
- “I allow my emotions to flow through me in a healthy way”
- “I am joyful. I am spontaneous. I am creative.”
- Spend some time and ask yourself these self-discovery questions –
- Do I seem to have a hard time expressing my true feelings to loved ones?
- Do I feel trapped or suppressed by my inability to communicate my needs to others?
- Is my libido low/non-existent, or too overactive?
- Have I lost my ability to feel joy, to play, or to be creative?
- Listen to chakra balancing CDs while meditating or visualizing. We like the following CDs – Chakra Chants and Chakra Chants 2 by Johnathan Goodman.
- You can also place one of the stones mentioned earlier on your chakra while meditating. You can carry one in your pocket or place it under your pillow at night. Just be sure to cleanse your stones regularly.
And don’t forget to check out next week’s blog at Naturewise to learn more about stones that work with the navel chakra.
Until next time –