As we continue our exploration of the chakras, we move up from the Navel Chakra to the Third or Solar Plexus Chakra. In the Solar Plexus, we move into our SELF – our place of self-confidence and personal power. The third chakra is known as the Manipura in Sanskrit and is located above the navel and below the sternum, directly in the stomach area.
Keywords for the solar plexus chakra are … SELF … identity, self-worth, self-esteem, confidence, self-respect, personal power, willpower, effectiveness, and gut instinct.
The solar plexus chakra relates to our identity and sense of self.
- The solar plexus celebrates our uniqueness – the power to be completely ourself.
- It’s from the solar plexus that we project ourselves into the world, showing others who we are.
- The third chakra is the center of personal power, the place of ego, of passions, impulses and strength.
- The solar plexus is the center for self-acceptance, understanding our strengths and weaknesses, and accepting ourselves as we are, knowing that we are constantly growing and changing.
- Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives is centered in the third chakra.
- The solar plexus is also the center for astral travel and astral influences, receptivity of spirit guides and for psychic development.
In the physical body, the solar plexus chakra relates to the digestive system, immune system, adrenal glands, and muscles.
When the third chakra is healthy and balanced, you will usually have a clear sense of who you are and where you’re going. You have a strong sense of self-worth and self-trust. You are not afraid to “shine” or be yourself. You also have a balanced relationship with power–neither dominating others nor letting yourself be dominated. You feel strong and confident and are effective and achieve your goals easily.
If the solar plexus chakra is deficient, you may lack confidence, have poor self-esteem, be confused, and worry about what others think. You may frequently question yourself, take things very personally, and be overly sensitive to criticism. Feelings of being powerless to change a situation in your life or feel like a victim are good indicators of deficient solar plexus energy. If you are an “emotional chameleon”, always willing to change to suit the needs and wants of others to be accepted and to be in their good graces, you most likely have a blockage in this chakra.
On the other end of the spectrum, excessive energy can result in being a perfectionist or “Control freak”. Those with too much solar plexus are often have huge egos, are full of themself, and/or arrogant. They tend to be excessively intellectual (“in their head”), workaholics, overly opinionated, and/or judgmental.
The main color used with this chakra is yellow.
The gemstones most often associated with the solar plexus chakra are yellow stones such as Amber, Citrine , Sunstone, Topaz, Yellow Calcite and Yellow Carnelian. (Look for the next blog post at Naturewise for more on these stones.)
Suggestions for balancing the solar plexus chakra are:
- Engage in spiritual growth and personal development activities … take a class, read informative books, do mind puzzles, practice meditation or spiritual opening exercise.
- Bask in the sunshine (Yeah, I know it’s winter here in the Northern Hemisphere. We’re going to AZ next month to visit Grandfather Sun.)
- Belly dancing – shake those hips!
- Yoga poses such as the Boat Pose
- Pilates for your Solar Plexus Chakra – check out this YouTube video
- Set a goal. Break it down into doable steps and make a timeline for finishing each step. Take the first step to set the process in motion. Follow through with your timeline so that you reach your goal on time. Then (Woo-Hoo!) celebrate your commitment and effectiveness!
- Practice being assertive in your expression. Make your voice heard and express your needs/wants. If this is hard for you, start small. For example, YOU decide what restaurant you’ll go to or what movie you’ll see. This may feel uncomfortable to you, but with practice it’ll get easier.
- Spend some time and ask yourself these self-discovery questions –
- Do I often think negative thoughts about myself, or my accomplishment?
- Who in my life takes my power away from me?
- Am I afraid to claim my own power, gifts, and greatness?
- Do I consistently put others’ needs before my own? When was the last time I said “no”? What is preventing me from saying “no” to situations and circumstances I don’t want to be a part of?
- How can I regain balance in my relationships?
- If the answer is yes to any of these questions, ask…
What is the pattern or blockage am I carrying relating to (the question) that I can clear today and how do I clear it?
- Listen to chakra balancing CDs while meditating or visualizing. We like the following CDs – Chakra Chants and Chakra Chants 2 by Johnathan Goodman.
- Yellow ball of light meditation – simply visualize a glowing yellow light glowing in your abdomen, making it glow brighter. As your solar plexus begins to radiate, your confidence and personal power will become stronger. If you choose, expand the yellow light throughout your body and use this strong confident energy to visualize yourself taking an action you would like to take.
- You can also place one of the stones mentioned earlier on your chakra while meditating. You can carry one in your pocket or place it under your pillow at night. Just be sure to cleanse your stones regularly.
And don’t forget to look for the next blog at Naturewise to learn more about stones that work with the navel chakra.
Until next time –